Removing snow and ice from your roof is of the utmost importance if you want to keep it in the best shape. Now, you might already know the signs that indicate that snow removal is imminent. However, if you don’t, you can read our previous blog on the same.
Now, let’s move on and learn about the different ways you can get rid of the accumulated snow on the roof. As a prominent roofing company Shorewood, we always want our customers to know the reasons, effects, and ways to tackle snow accumulation.
Causes of Ice Dams
- Reduced roof ventilation: Ventilation is important to remove any excess heat from the right places in your house. When you have reduced ventilation, the heat can’t escape the house and heats the snow from the inside. This melts the snow that refreezes on the eaves and blocks the gutter system.
- Poor attic insulation: When you don’t have sufficient insulation, the heat escapes from anywhere in your house through the roof. This escaped heat will melt the snow on the roof that will refreeze at the eaves giving rise to ice dams.
Ice dams mustn’t be ignored at any cost!
Effects of Ice Dams on the Roof
Whether it is the interior or exterior, ice dams will cause damage to the house roof. And if neglected, it will cause further problems like
- Roof shingle damage
- Water stains
- Mold and mildew growth
- Structural damage
Four Ways to Clean Ice from Roof
- Use ice pick: One of the ways you can use to de-ice the roof is an ice pick. You need to just climb on the ladder and start reaching the inners sides of the gutters to remove the ice dams.
Just make sure that you keep the ladder on a sturdy surface and use the ice pick carefully. Ice pick can cause damage to the roofing Wheaton structure, and you might also hurt your hand.
- Use a snow rake: You can always use a snow rake to remove the ice dams. Stand on the ground firm and start scrapping the snow that is freezing in the downward motion.
Again, make sure that you don’t use a ladder or stand on the roof while using a snow rake. This can cause major accidents and injuries. If you find that removing ice dams is difficult on your own, make sure to giveprofessionals a call right away.
- Use warm water: This is one of the simplest ways of removing snow from the roof. All you need is warm water and a spray bottle. You need to fill the hot water in the spray bottle and keep spraying it on the snow-heavy areas until it melts.
The main idea is to melt the snow from the gutters so that it can drain the water smoothly as before.
- Use ice-melting products: Home improvement shops have specialized ice-melting products. These chemicals have ammonium sulfate, calcium magnesium acetate, and others.
All you need to do is spread these chemicals evenly on the roof and let it do its work.
Ice dams can become dangerous to your roof. Although these ways seem pretty simple and doable, if you feel that you need professional assistance, you can contact us at Titan Construction.
We are the best Naperville roofing company that has been providing repair, installation, and replacement services in the region. Apart from roofing, we also work on windows, siding, soffits, and fascia along with roof gutters and drywall, and paint.
Get in touch with us now to know more!
With Titan- Satisfaction is Always Guaranteed!